BlueCard is a national program that allows Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) members to access coverage and receive care while traveling or living out of state, in another BCBS service area.
For example, if a BlueCard BCBS member has BCBS of Massachusetts, but lives in New York, they will be able to see a provider in NY with their BlueCard plan.
Determining if you have a BlueCard plan
BlueCard program affiliation is dependent on the specific insurance plan you have. The best way to tell
if you have a BlueCard plan is by looking at your insurance card. If you’re a BlueCard program member, your card will include the following elements:
- A three character prefix at the beginning of the member ID. This can be 3 letters, or it may be alphanumeric – a mix of numbers and letters (e.g. 1AA, A1A, AA1).
- A suitcase logo. This may be empty, or have letters written inside of it.
How being a BlueCard member affects your ability to get care on Headway
You are able to find and see a provider through Headway wherever you are currently living or traveling, so long as Headway is currently active in that state.
Here’s how it will work with your BlueCard plan:
- Navigate to Headway.co.
- Click the “Location” dropdown and select the state in which you’ll be receiving care.
- Verify that your plan is part of the BlueCard program using the identifiers listed above.
- If you are a BlueCard member – select “Yes, I’m a BlueCard Member”.
- If you’re unsure – contact your insurance company by calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card.
- Once you’ve verified that you are a BlueCard member, you can search for a provider and book an appointment!
For non-BlueCard program BCBS members
You can still use Headway to see a provider, even if you are not a part of the BlueCard program! If this is the case, and we can accept your BCBS plan, you must:
- Reside in the state in which your BCBS plan is administered out of, and
- See a provider within that state.
For example, if a non-BlueCard BCBS member has Empire BCBS, they must live in NY and see a provider in NY.